Thursday 21 May 2015

Gold Rush Girl by Suzanne Lilly

Gold Rush Girl (The California Argonauts, #1)Gold Rush Girl by Suzanne Lilly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Around this time of year I am always in the mood for stories about the pioneering adventures of the settlers in 19th century America and this story was just perfect to gratify that craving. It was light, with a bit of romance and adventure.
I kept changing the rating of this story from three to four stars and then back again to three stars until I was finally able to settle on four stars. The reason for my indecisiveness were some of the annoying personality traits of the protagonist. At times she came across as very naive, wavering in her determination, too dependent and intimidated by male characters. But it was pointed out to me that these were the desirable traits of a woman over 100 years ago. With that in mind, it became clear that this story does deserve a four-star rating. She was still hard working, clever and relatively optimistic, making for an interesting and multidimensional character worth reading about.
The plot moved along well in a steady pace and provided enough substance to maintain the reader's attention and interest.
The writing was generally well done with only a few slightly confusing parts throughout the story; however, generally speaking the narration had a nice and easy flow.
Overall, it was a lighthearted story perfect for reading before going to bed and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a story that has equal parts romance, adventure and historical fiction.

View all my reviews